Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Potty Power!

The last time I bought diapers for Dylan, I told myself it would be the last time. Well, that time came when we ran out over the weekend, which meant potty training day #1 started when daddy went to work on Monday. Everything went well, only a couple accidents that seemed to coincide with when he had underwear on. So I cleared the calendar and stayed home all day to focus on potty training with no pants on. Dylan would run to potty by himself which was great, except he likes to stand now and his aim isn't so great (although I don't think it improves much with age does it?). He also liked to go in the shower because it gave him more room. Hey, whatever works. I must say I was exhausted at the end of the day since Gavin didn't give me much of a break either. So when daddy came home, Dylan was squatting and mixing Bentley's food with water accidently pooped on the floor. He came to me with sad eyes and told me what happened and as I took him to clean him up, the poop dissappeared. Ughh...I guess Bentley won't be hungry for the soup Dylan made. This event must have traumatized Dylan because he has not gone poop for two whole days now and he used to go twice a day.
Day #2 I decided I had to get some errands done. We had three stores to go to and started at Barnes & Noble and took a potty break before leaving. I am thankful boys can stand and pee when it comes to public restrooms. Dylan ran out saying "Potty Power!" Our last stop was Whole Foods where Dylan told me "We have to buy beer for Daddy!" By the time we got to the car, he had wet shorts so I was changing him and let him pee out the side of the van, just as someone walked by.
Today daddy had time off work (Hallelujah!) and helped me out with the kids. Thank goodness - Gavin was up at 6am and didn't take a nap longer than 10 minutes until about 8pm!!! I'm hopeful this means he will sleep well tonight! Dylan had a great day today with the potty. We even had less pee on the floor around the potty! We hosted a play date here this afternoon and surprisingly he kept his pants dry all through playing (with 2 potty breaks initiated by mom). We went out to eat and came home with...dry pants! When I put him to bed, he said to me "No more milk in bed" which is a rule I started enforcing on Monday, much to Dylan's dismay. I am so glad he has accepted it.
We are very proud of Dylan!